I find many of my clients get confused when starting a new project and maybe you are too. Here are a few tips to help you get started the right way!
Let me ask you a few questions.
- Would you start with the wall colour, the flooring, the window treatments, or rugs or cushions and throws?
- Would you choose a special piece of furniture you want to showcase before or after you have made your floor covering or window treatment choices?
- What do want the room to do or say? Do you want it to be functional for guests and family? Or perhaps a formal area that just looks great but really has no purpose?
These are the questions you should be asking yourself if you are deciding to renovate…or do you have no idea and just want ideas?
Start From The Bottom and Work Your Way Up
If you hire me to be your interior designer, I start with the flooring and work up. So flooring first, then look at paint colours, window treatment and furniture.
You can always change the furniture and wall colour, but it is a lot harder to change flooring.
So now ask yourself these questions regarding flooring.
- What flooring do I use?
- What would best suit my home and lifestyle?
- Will my floors stand the test of time and last for many years? (For example, do you have pets or small children or a teenage family? Are you in the later stage of your life?)
Once you have the answers to these questions it is easier to build from there.
So now is the time to choose your flooring – whether it is carpet, hard wood timber or laminate. Next, get samples of paint, curtains etc., to see if they all compliment each other. Then look at the décor you have in your home.
Deciding on Your Colour Palette
You may decide to stick with a neutral palette and add accent pieces and colour, with patterns and textures for the cushions and window treatments. This will bring the floors to life.
No matter where you are in your decision to redecorate, just remember you work from the floor up! HAVE FUN!
If you need help with your redecorating, please contact me!